Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas time home baked treats!


One of our favorite Christmas Morning treats, fresh from the oven "Orange-Pecan-Cinnamon Rolls". I use my bread maker to mix the dough for this tasty treat. I usually have the dough set to go in the breadmaker, before we leave for Christmas Eve festivities at my Parents house. Then upon our return home later that evening, I just roll out the dough and prepare the Cinnamon rolls so they are ready to bake by morning. These Cinnamon Rolls have become a tradition in our house on Christmas morning. They are quite yummy, and they disappear quickly around here.



This is the third year that I have tried my hand at making Christmas Stollen. My Mom always makes this at Christmas time. She uses a very traditional German recipe for making Stollen. I believe her recipe has been handed down in her family for a number of generations.
I have taken the liberty to create my own "Stollen" recipe, meaning I took out the ingredients that I never cared for as a kid, and I have substituted in other tasty ingredients in their place. Traditional German Stollen for example, has raisins in it...Yuck! I always hated baked raisins as a kid, so I use dried cranberries instead, Yummy! I also don't care for those candied cherries, Yuck! I use finely chopped dried Apricots in their place, Yummy! Traditional German Stollen recipes use Cognac to soften the dried fruit, this year I discovered a far more tasty option....I used Butterscotch Schnapps to soften the dried fruit I used in my stollen this year...Hmmm, now that is yummy! I also add a tasty layer of Marzipan to the center of my Stollen. I just love Marzipan, it is especially delicious when baked into the Stollen. I love having a slice of Stollen with tea in the evening. My family enjoys my non-traditional "Stollen".
At Christmas time we bake a variety of goodies to share with friends and family. Here is a little sample of the yummy treats we have made this Christmas.

Here are a few more of our favorite treats to bake. I just love these Eggnog Spritz Cookies with coffee in the morning... hmmm, Yummy!




Lemon Bars are always a holiday favorite. My parents have a big lemon tree, and they are kind enough to share lemons with us. These lemon bars are quick and easy to make, they are so tasty too.




We also enjoy making Candies this time of year. Kurt makes this fabulous "Rain Forest Crunch". It is a buttery brittle candy that is filled with ingredients like, coconut, macadamia nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, and brazil nuts. This is one of my favorite Christmas time treats.














2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok you have done it again! I swear I am gonna come visit you just so you can bake for me! It would be soooo worth the drive!

Mistletoe Ranch Kids said...

Seriosly, May...you really should come up for a visit!