Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fresh Baked treats from the Mistletoe Ranch Kitchen


Anyone who knows me, will tell you that I love to bake. Here are a couple of our family favorites.

When I bake scones on school days, I send my childrens' teachers a little sample. Last Thursday I made pumpkin scones to share. I just love anything with pumpkin as an ingredient.

I will have to make muffins this week, hmm, maybe "Blackberry Cheesecake Muffins".

That gives me an idea... I think I should create Mother-Daughter Holiday aprons.





Here is the recipe for "Mistletoe Ranch Pumpkin Scones"


The Mistletoe Ranch Pumpkin Scones
Prep: 20 minutes (Prep time increases with the number of lil' bakers you have helping you) : )Bake: 12-15 minutes depending upon oven.
Ingredients
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (I use Dark Brown Sugar)
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, you may omit this)
1/2 cup chilled butter cut into small cubes
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup milk
For Crunchy tops:2 Tablespoons buttermilk to brush on tops so Turbinado sugar will stick to scones. About 3 tablespoons Turbinado Sugar for sprinkling on the tops of scones before baking.
Directions1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, spices, baking soda, and salt. With a pastry blender cut in the 1/2 cup chilled butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, (this can also be done in a Cuisinart or food processor up to this point). Make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside.
2. In another bowl combine egg, pumpkin, and milk. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
3. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough by folding and pressing gently for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat dough into 2 separate 6 to 7 inch circles. Cut each circle into 8 wedges.
4. Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet, (I like to use baking parchment for easy clean-up). If desired, brush tops with buttermilk and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Remove scones from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Makes 16 disappearing scones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok this is yummy!