Sunday, September 21, 2008

So this morning I ask my youngest, Kambria, what she would like for breakfast...."Sconces and a Mocha-Latte" she announces. Well, I don't really let allow my 3 year old to have a Mocha-Latte, it is the name I have given to the 'Hot Chocolate' she enjoys while I have my "Cinnamon Spice Latte". So I make her a hot chocolate and add some Cinnamon coffee creamer, then we head outside to sit and enjoy nature. The weather here has been cooling off quite a bit, so we have been enjoying our weekend mornings out on the deck with our "Lattes". We watch the wild turkeys roam across the lower part of our property. Every now and then, one of the male turkeys will flare his tail feathers, Kambria says "Now that's a real Turkey". The quail have been very active too in the mornings they are fun to watch. Kambria and I walk a little closer to try and get a picture. They see us, and then they scatter into the manzanita bushes. I have been trying to get a picture of the quail to send to my friend Judy, and the quail just won't cooperate. I think they are camera shy! I am sure they will return later, and I'll try with my camera again. They must know that they are safe at the Mistletoe Ranch, no hunters here, just photographers trying to 'shoot' their picture.


Time to move inside and bake those scones for Kambria. The rule in my house on weekends is first child to wake up, chooses the breakfast menu.....hmmmm Scones!!!

My other two children are awake now, and asking about breakfast. Kambria announces, "breakfast is ready, Mommy is taking the scones picture now". I don't always photograph what I bake, but I have been doing it a lot more lately.
So, here you go, this is my famous Mistletoe Ranch Blueberry-Almond Scone recipe, complete with pictures.




Mistletoe Ranch Blueberry Almond Scones





Description:
Delicious combination of Almond and Blueberry Flavors in a yummy breakfast scone…Watch as These Scones Quickly Disappear!

Cooking Time: Bake 12 to 15 minutes (may vary slightly, depending on your oven)



Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
3 Tbsp. Ground Almonds

2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter, sweet chilled
1 egg
2/3 cup Buttermilk (you will also use a small amount of buttermilk to brush the tops of scones)
2/3 cup dried blueberries
1 tsp. Almond Extract
2 Tbsp. Turbinado Sugar (also know as: Raw Cane Sugar) for the tops

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400°F. In large mixing bowl sift together flour, sugar, ground almonds, powder, soda and salt. Using a pastry blender or the paddle on electric mixer, cut in butter until mixture is the size of course crumbs. Add dried blueberries and toss to coat. Make a well in the center and set aside. In small bowl blend egg, almond extract and buttermilk; add all at once to flour mixture. Mix just until moistened. Turn dough onto floured work surface and knead 10 to 12 times. I use the “fold over” method of kneading. Separate dough into 2 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time, gently pat the dough into a circle about 7 inches across. Using a chef’s knife, cut into 8 pie shaped wedges. Transfer the wedges to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Separate wedges by 1". Brush the tops of the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with Turbinado Sugar. Bake 12 - 15 minutes. Place baked scones on a cooling rack. Let cool 5 minutes. Move to serving plate, stand back and watch them disappear!




Optional: Use Raw sliced Almonds to sprinkle on top of the scones after you brush them with buttermilk, and before you sprinkle the Turbinado sugar.



No comments: